How To Schedule a School Bus Driver Special Certificate Hearing…If you have applied for, or are the current holder of a School Bus Driver Special Certificate, you have achieved a level of training and enjoyed by very few drivers in the State of California. As a school bus driver, you are responsible for the safe transportation of society’s most precious cargo…. Our Children. So, if you are asking on how to schedule a School Bus Driver Special Certificate Hearing with the California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), something has occurred that is placing your Special Certificate and your professional driving career in jeopardy. Something has caused the DMV to suddenly suspect that you do not meet the “high standards” required to earn or maintain a School Bus Driver Special Certificate.
It is likely you have received notification in the mail that the DMV is acting to refuse, suspend, or revoke your School Bus Driver Special Certificate to operate a school bus in the transportation of children. The DMV is not suggesting they MAY refuse, suspend, or revoke your School Bus Driver Special Certificate. This notice is much more devastating. The “ORDER OF REFUSAL/SUSPENSION/REVOCATION” is the DMV’s notice that they have received information that makes you ineligible to operate school buses and that they are taking you off the road………. Period!
To Properly Schedule a School Bus Driver Special Certificate Hearing:
The Notice of Refusal/Suspension/Revocation received in the mail will document the reason for the action, the effective date of the action, and the fact that you have a right to a hearing. To schedule a School Bus Driver Special Certificate Hearing you must make contact with the Driver Safety Headquarters in Sacramento. The law mandates specified periods of time during which a driver must make this initial contact. For those drivers holding the School Bus Driver Special Certificate, you must take action to protect your Special Certificate within 15 days following receipt of the notification or the DMV’s action will take effect as scheduled.
To properly schedule a Special Certificate Hearing, a driver must:
- Take immediate action to ensure that a proper, written, request for Special Certificate Hearing is received by the proper division of the DMV Headquarters Office in Sacramento.
- Request that the hearing be convened at a Driver Safety Office of the driver’s choosing. In some instances it may be in your best interest to schedule your hearing at a location that is known for being more “friendly” to Special Certificate holders.
- Make every effort to ensure your case is assigned to a favorable Hearing Officer.
- Consider filing a request to “Stay” the suspension or revocation of the School Bus Driver Special Certificate. For those drivers holding a School Bus Certificate, the DMV’s decision to grant or deny a “stay” is often predicated upon whether or not the safety of students is in question. Every effort should be presented to establish a foundation basis for a Stay of the action so that you may continue working while your case is developing.
- Back up any and all communication with the DMV in writing. It is common for the DMV to misplace information or forget conversations. Things will often “fall through the cracks” and if you are unable to prove your timely communication with the DMV you can end up losing your right to a hearing.
Without a School Bus Driver Special Certificate in possession, a school bus driver may not legally operate a school bus. This normally makes that person immediately unemployable and often results in the driver’s immediate suspension or termination. If you simply cannot endure the loss of your Special Certificate and, therefore, your employment, the only available option you have is to fight for yourself. The best possible choice in achieving that goal is to call the DMV Defense Experts at California Drivers Advocates. We know the DMV process and can anticipate what it will take to win your School Bus Driver Special Certificate Hearing. Call us now and we’ll put you on the path to regaining your reputation and your Special Certificate.
What Happens if I Fail to Schedule a School Bus Driver Special Certificate Hearing?
There is simply no doubt that the DMV’s intended refusal, suspension, or revocation of your School Bus Driver Special Certificate WILL take effect as scheduled unless you act to prevent it. There is no other viable option to protecting your Special Certificate.
The California Vehicle Code makes it perfectly legal for the DMV to seize your School Bus Driver Special Certificate with little or no evidence to support the action. The DMV is empowered to strip you of your Special Certificate based upon a belief, conjecture, or rumor. By sending you the Notice of Refusal/Suspension/Revocation, the DMV telling you that they are taking you off the road, but they are also giving you an opportunity to rebut the reasons for the action.
If you fail to schedule a School Bus Driver Special Certificate Hearing, the only person who loses is you, and perhaps your family. Don’t let this happen. Call CDA now!
Let us Schedule Your School Bus Driver Special Certificate Hearing.
If the DMV is acting to refuse, suspend, or revoke your School Bus Driver Special Certificate, it is critically important that you react immediately and with great care and accuracy. If your career depends on keeping your Special Certificate, you simply can’t afford to make mistakes. There is no other path to maintaining your Special Certificate. You simply must schedule and then prepare for what could be the most important hearing of your life. The DMV Defense Experts at California Drivers Advocates have been scheduling, conducting, and winning School Bus Driver Special Certificate Hearings for years. We prevail at these hearings on a regular basis because we do them the right way.
More about Special Certificate Hearings at the California DMV