Scheduling an Ambulance Driver Special Certificate Hearing? If you have applied for, or are the current holder of an Ambulance Driver Special Certificate, you are among the most trusted professional drivers in the State of California. If you are asking on how to schedule an Ambulance Driver Special Certificate Hearing with the California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), something has occurred that is placing your Special Certificate and your professional driving career in jeopardy. It is likely you have received notification in the mail that the DMV is acting to refuse, suspend, or revoke your Ambulance Driver Special Certificate to operate emergency ambulances. This is not a warning letter that the DMV MAY refuse, suspend, or revoke your Ambulance Driver Special Certificate. This notice is much more ominous than that. The “ORDER OF REFUSAL/SUSPENSION/REVOCATION” is the DMV’s notice that they have received information that makes you ineligible to operate emergency ambulances and that they are taking you off the road………. Period!
The Notice of Refusal/Suspension/Revocation received in the mail will document the reason for the action, the effective date of the action, and the fact that you have a right to a hearing. To schedule an Ambulance Driver Special Certificate Hearing you must make contact with the Driver Safety Headquarters in Sacramento. The law mandates specified periods of time during which a driver must make this initial contact. For those drivers holding the Ambulance Driver Special Certificate, you must take action to protect your Special Certificate within 10 days following receipt of the notification or the DMV’s action will take effect as scheduled.
To properly schedule a Special Certificate Hearing, a driver must:
- Take immediate action to ensure that a proper, written, request for Special Certificate Hearing is received by the proper division of the DMV Headquarters Office in Sacramento.
- Request that the hearing be convened at a Driver Safety Office of the driver’s choosing. In some instances it may be in your best interest to schedule your hearing at a location that is known for being more “friendly” to Special Certificate holders.
- Make every effort to ensure your case is assigned to a favorable Hearing Officer.
- Consider filing a request to “Stay” the suspension or revocation of the Ambulance Driver Special Certificate. The DMV has a practice of refusing a request to stay the suspension or revocation of a Special Certificate without a foundational finding that the driver’s continued operation of a specialized vehicle will not endanger the public. Every effort should be presented to establish a foundation basis for a Stay of the action so that you may continue working while your case is developing.
- Back up any and all communication with the DMV in writing. It is common for the DMV to misplace information or forget conversations. Things will often “fall through the cracks” and if you are unable to prove your timely communication with the DMV you can end up losing your right to a hearing.
If the loss of your Ambulance Driver Special Certificate is something you simply cannot endure, you have no choice but to fight the DMV. The best course of action is to contact the DMV Experts at California Drivers Advocates. We know how to properly access the DMV to schedule a hearing. We know how to apply for an order to Stay the action and, most importantly, we know how to win an Ambulance Driver Special Certificate Hearing.
What Happens if I Fail to Schedule an Ambulance Driver Special Certificate Hearing?
The short answer is that the DMV’s intended refusal, suspension, or revocation of your Ambulance Driver Special Certificate WILL take effect as scheduled. At that moment, you may not operate an emergency ambulance. In most instances, this will cause an employer to suspend or terminate your employment because they must be able to rely on both members of an ambulance crew being able to drive.
The California Vehicle Code makes it perfectly legal for the DMV to seize your Special Certificate with little or no evidence to support the action. By sending you the Notice of Refusal/Suspension/Revocation, the DMV telling you that they are taking you off the road, but they are inviting you to show them why the action is not warranted.
Let us Schedule Your Ambulance Driver Special Certificate Hearing.
If you fail to schedule an Ambulance Driver Special Certificate Hearing, the only person who loses is you. Don’t let this happen. Call CDA now! If the DMV is acting to refuse, suspend, or revoke your Ambulance Driver Special Certificate, it is critically important that you react immediately and with great care. If your career depends on keeping your Special Certificate, you simply can’t afford to make mistakes. There is no other path to maintaining your Special Certificate. You simply must fight, fight, and fight. The DMV Defense Experts at California Drivers Advocates have been scheduling, conducting, and winning Ambulance Driver Special Certificate Hearings for years. Our experience, our training, and our devotion to our craft are a winning combination.
More about Special Certificate Hearings at the California DMV